The eastern view from the Llyn Llydaw causeway. Before the causeway was built, horses and wagons full of copper from the mine were carried across Llyn Llydaw on rafts, to shorten their journey down to Pen y Pass. But in 1853 following an accident in which a horse drowned, it was decided to build the causeway.
Distance: 8 miles (13Km) (there & back).
Ascent: 2,372ft (723 metre).
Time: About 6 hours (there & back).
Grade: Hard Mountain Walk.
The Miners’ Track was originally built to serve the Britannia Copper Mine on Snowdon. It is ideal if you wish to take a walk on Snowdon without going all the way to the summit. The path starts off wide and even, climbing gradually past Llyn Teyrn and up to Llyn Llydaw, where the ruins of the old copper mine can be seen. From here, the path climbs steeply to Llyn Glaslyn, where it becomes a hard climb over scree towards the intersection of the Miners’ and the Pyg Tracks. The path then zigzags up to Bwlch Glas, and then on to the summit.