Final shot from the Aray bridge - and zooming in on the All Saints Bell Tower.
In 1914 the 10th Duke of Argyll, Niall Diarmid Campbell, became the Honorary Colonel of The 8th Battalion of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. When the First World War ended he decided that there should be a fitting memorial to commemorate the Clan Campbell dead. To this end he commissioned architects Hoare and Wheeler to design the Bell Tower, the original idea being to link the new tower to the church.
At the same time John Taylor and Company of Loughborough were approached to cast a peal of 10 bells suitable for the memorial. The bells were cast in 1920 in Loughborough. Their transport from there to Inveraray, which took place in November 1921, was less than smooth. The first lorry broke down in Lancashire. Then when the second lorry reached “The Little Rest” on the lower part of the old Rest and Be Thankful road it would go no further. The treble bell and ironwork frames had to be unloaded to allow the lorry to continue the ascent. However even this was not enough and the second bell had to be left behind as well before the lorry made it to the summit. The abandoned bells and frames were retrieved the following day.