The central tower and rose window of the south transept. The stained glass at Truro cathedral, was made by Clayton and Bell and thought to be some of the finest Victorian stained glass in England, the windows tell the story of the Christian Church, starting with the birth of Jesus and finishing with the building of Truro Cathedral.
The Anglican Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is located in the city of Truro, Cornwall. It was built in the Gothic Revival architectural style fashionable during much of the nineteenth century, and is one of only three cathedrals in the United Kingdom with three spires (Lichfield & Edinburgh).
Construction began in 1880 on the site of the sixteenth century parish church of St Mary the Virgin to a design by the architect John Loughborough Pearson. The central tower was finished by 1905 and the building was completed with the opening of the two western towers in 1910.
One particularly unusual feature of the cathedral is the fact that St Mary's church was not completely demolished, and now serves as the cathedral's Lady Chapel. Its copper spire is still a feature of the cathedral's south-eastern aisle.
A further unusual feature is the non-alignment (about 6ft) of the cathedral's nave and chancel; this misalignment can clearly be seen by visitors at the west end or east end. This was due to site constraints; the cathedral was built in a densely-populated central site with houses and shops packed closely about on all sides, in a manner more reminiscent of a Continental rather than an English cathedral.